Friday, December 14, 2012

Inner Beauty Friday - Book Club!

Hello!

Once again it is Friday and I am linking up with Blonde...Undercover Blonde for Book Club. 

This week I read The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian:
From Goodreads: This spellbinding tale travels between Aleppo, Syria, in 1915 and Bronxville, New York, in 2012—a sweeping historical love story steeped in the author’s Armenian heritage, making it his most personal novel to date.
When Elizabeth Endicott arrives in Syria, she has a diploma from Mount Holyoke College, a crash course in nursing, and only the most basic grasp of the Armenian language. The First World War is spreading across Europe, and she has volunteered on behalf of the Boston-based Friends of Armenia to deliver food and medical aid to refugees of the Armenian genocide. There, Elizabeth becomes friendly with Armen, a young Armenian engineer who has already lost his wife and infant daughter.
 
 
My thoughts - This book was a very interesting look into Armenian history and the first World War.  It's kind of confusing because Chris Bohjalian narrates the book as a female writer; and he is Armenian and so is narrator and sometimes I wondered how much was fiction.  But overall it was an interesting and thought provoking book. 
 
Jasmine

6 comments:

  1. I love historical fiction and this sounds like an interesting read. I'm going to bookmark this to buy the book later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting, it brought up a whole segment of Armenian/Turkish history I had no idea about (which is terrible.)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like the type of book I'd really enjoy. I'll definitely be looking out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh, you reminded me how much I miss having enough leisure time to read. Nowadays school is what occupies most of my day and I try to spend my free time either with friends or blogging. Hopefully I'll find the time during Winter break to catch up on my reading and finally finish a few books that have been collecting dust.

    Also wanted to let you know that I'm following you on Twitter and Pinterest as well! Follow back if you'd like(:

    Twitter (@lipstickndlace)
    Pinterest (@lipstickndlace)

    Elle
    Lipstick & Lace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is one of my greatest joys - I hope you find the time!

      Delete