Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Fitbit

Hello,

So after I posted yesterday a few of you commented that you haven't heard of the .  I hadn't either until 3 weeks ago when I googled "fitness tracker", and the My Fitness Pal site popped up and the Fitbit site was just a few down.  I read both and it just seemed like the perfect match for what I was looking for.
I wanted:
  • a pedometer
  • a calorie tracker
  • a sleep monitor
  • and something that linked up to a "site" where I could access more in depth charts and graphs and analysis of my journey.
So I got on trusty Amazon.com and checked it out here.  It got good reviews there as well and it qualified for free shipping!  It's normally $99.95 but Amazon usually is about $10 cheaper. So in my basket it went.

Here's how they describe it: "If you want to turn fitness into a lifestyle, the One™ is for you. For starters, it never rests. During the day, it tracks your steps, distance, calories burned, and stairs climbed. Come nightfall, it measures your sleep quality, helps you learn how to sleep better, and wakes you in the morning. The One™ motivates you to reach your goals by bringing greater fitness into your life – seamlessly, socially, 24 hours a day. "


I also didn't want a wrist band style tracker because I don't like wearing bracelets, it irritates me. (I can't even wear a watch) So something strapped to my wrist or arm 24/7 was not going to work. Plus its Itty - Bitty: Height - 1.89 inches   Width - .76 inches.

Here's what came in the box:

 Clockwise from top: The power adaptor to charge it - so far about every 4 days.  The little "plug" is the dongle that I put in one my USB ports on my laptop so the Fitbit can "sync" whenever I am within 20 feet. It will also sync with an Iphone if you download the app.  The Fitbit itself and the "holster" above it.  I could easily hold all that is pictured in one hand. 

Not pictured: the soft wristband (and I hesitate to call it a "band") you slip the Fitbit into and wear at night to sleep.  At first I was like "noooo Jasmine hates wrist things!" but it is so light weight and soft and LOOSE (thank goodness it's adjustable) that I don't notice it.

So that's my thoughts on my Fitbit it's perfect for me so far I love knowing when I've been a slacker and it motivates me to move my butt a bit more!  And the sleep information is so interesting!  Last night I was in bed for 7hrs and 28 minutes - but I only slept 6hrs and 54 minutes because I woke up 9 times!  I'm seeing if there is a pattern (I get up to go the bathroom around 3 - I've been doing that for years), and I always seem to wake up around 5 (I think it's the sun coming up).  But the other reasons ??? 

Do you use a fitness helper?  What exercises reduce arm fat!?!

Jasmine

7 comments:

  1. Cool! I want it even if for just tracking how I sleep. I'd also love to see just how much walking I do while on campus during the semester. I just might have to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a bummer that it's so expensive...I would be curious to find out how much I really sleep. Sometimes I go to bed late but wake up feeling great, and other times I go to bed early and just toss and turn and wake up a lot, so I don't feel like I slept enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.. I didn't know it could track your sleep. That's awesome. I had looked at it earlier but I changed my diet and I don't count calories at all anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use it so much to be a calories counter as a break down of what I'm eating - it's charts proteins, vitamins, fat, carbs etc... So I can be sure the calories I AM eating are giving me something good and not "empty".

      Delete
  4. How are you liking it now after you've had it for a few weeks? Is it still motivating you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't just like it I LOVE IT! It really motivates me to get off my A$$ and move - plus the info it tracks has really given me insight into when I'm laziest, and other things I just wasn't thinking about.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking of getting one of those watches with a pedometer in it, but this one seems cooler, and I need all the motivation I can get!!

      Delete