Saturday, October 12, 2013

Inner Beauty - Book Review

Hello,

I'm a bit late doing my book review again this week, I have been busy with "real" life!  We had houseguests, a very busy week at work and Friday I drove 2 hours each way in HORRIBLE Chicago traffic to see my family for 3 hours.  I hope this week is calmer.

Anywhoo...

This week I read Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

 
 
Here is the synopsis from Goodreads.com:
 
"Set against Iceland's stark landscape, Hannah Kent brings to vivid life the story of Agnes, who, charged with the brutal murder of her former master, is sent to an isolated farm to await execution.

Horrified at the prospect of housing a convicted murderer, the family at first avoids Agnes. Only Tóti, a priest Agnes has mysteriously chosen to be her spiritual guardian, seeks to understand her. But as Agnes's death looms, the farmer's wife and their daughters learn there is another side to the sensational story they've heard."
 
My thoughts - Plot aside, this was a really interesting look into Icelandic culture in the 1800's.  You can kind of guess how the "Story" is going to go but...then again it is not really a story but a fictionalization of actual events.  This is cool because you can Google images of the sites in the book and get a real image of life. 
 
I think this is a good winter read because this book is full of cold winter scenes!
 
Jasmine


2 comments: