Friday, October 25, 2013

Inner Beauty Friday - Book Club!

Hello,

 Once again I am linking up with Heather from Blonde...Undercover Blonde, for Book Club!



This week I read 2 books, the first was March by Geraldine Brooks.

March

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads.com:

"As the North reels under a series of unexpected defeats during the dark first year of the American Civil War, one man leaves behind his family to aid the Union cause. His experiences will utterly change his marriage and challenge his most ardently held beliefs. Riveting and elegant as it is meticulously researched, March is an extraordinary novel woven out of the lore of American history.

From Louisa May Alcott’s beloved classic Little Women, Geraldine Brooks has taken the character of the absent father, March, who has gone off to war leaving his wife and daughters. To evoke him, Brooks turned to the journals and letters of Bronson Alcott, Louisa May’s father, a friend and confidant of Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.

In Brooks’ telling, March emerges as an idealistic chaplain in the little known backwaters of a war that will test his faith in himself and in the Union cause as he learns that his side, too, is capable of acts of barbarism and racism. As he recovers from a near mortal illness, he must reassemble his shattered mind and body, and find a way to reconnect with a wife and daughters who have no idea of the ordeals he has been through."

My thoughts - I loved "Little Women" and reading part of the story from the father's point of view was really interesting.  This is like the gritty old brother to Little Women.  There was some interesting points made about abolitionists and their work - I also like how they are not portrayed as perfect.  If you are interested in the civil war this is definitely
something to read.

I also read "The 13 Problems" by Agatha Christie.


The Thirteen Problems
 
Here is the synopsis from Goodreads.com- "While genial gentle soft white-haired Jane, in black lace cap and mittens of the time, knits, her Tuesday week visitors present early experiences, recently solved usually by confession of participants, for consideration by their club: Sir Henry Clithering last Commissioner of Scotland Yard, nephew writer Raymond West, artist Joyce Lemprière, elderly clergyman Dr Pender, dried-up little bespectacled solicitor Mr Petherick"
 
My thoughts - This is a good one to keep in your bag.  Each chapter is a story told by one of Miss Marple's guests and they know the answer to the "mystery", and everyone puts for the their guesses.  Of course Miss Marple always knows the real answer which would annoy the hell out of me in real life, but when you are just reading these stories for enjoyment it's ok.  And it's fun to see if you can figure it out.
 
What have you read?
 
Jasmine


 

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read that Miss Marple book yet! It IS annoying that she always knows the answer to everything. But the stories are entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the little stories and seeing if I can figure it out :)

      Delete
  2. I think I would like both of these. I loved 'Little Women' and I have, in the past, loved Agatha Christie, even though I've never read a Miss Marple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you would definitely find these a good read. Like I said the Agatha Christie is great to have on you when you get stuck in a line, or whatever for a quick bit of entertainment.

      Delete
  3. I've only read one of Agatha Christie's books and it was a little difficult for me to get into it. The 13 Problems sounds interesting though :)

    Silly Socks n Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to read one like 20 years ago that had the Investigator Pirout (or whatever his name is) in it and I know people love them but I only read 3 pages and I was like "nope".

      Delete
  4. I few years back I read People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks which I really enjoyed. But have yet to read anything else by her. I do remember my mom being really excited about March, and have a feeling I'd enjoy it as well. but haven't had the chance to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete