Friday, October 12, 2012

Inner Beauty Friday - Book Club!

Hello:

It's Friday again (which actually means nothing to me as I rarely have weekends off) but I am excited as always for Book Club!



So this week I read The Birth House by Ami McKay:


The Synopsis via Goodreads.com-
 The Birth House is the story of Dora Rare, the first daughter to be born in five generations of the Rare family. As a child in an isolated village in Nova Scotia, she is drawn to Miss Babineau, an outspoken Acadian midwife with a gift for healing and a kitchen filled with herbs and folk remedies. During the turbulent first years of World War I, Dora becomes the midwife's apprentice. Together, they help the women of Scots Bay through infertility, difficult labors, breech births, unwanted pregnancies and even unfulfilling sex lives.

My thoughts - It was a very interesting book and I hadn't really thought about what "modern" science meant to people that might not wanted to have their baby in a hospital, before obstetrics were really fully understood.  I liked the friendships described in the book, but thought the Boston bit was a bit odd.

I'd give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

Any good recommendations for me?  I'm currently reading Shadow of Night.

Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment