Friday, October 26, 2012

Inner Beauty Friday - Book Club!

Hello!

I am linking up once again with Blonde...Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

Check it out by hitting the button:


The book I read this week was "Russian Winter" by Daphne Kolatry:

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads: ""A mysterious jewel holds the key to a life-changing secret, in this breathtaking tale of love and art, betrayal and redemption."

When she decides to auction her remarkable jewelry collection, Nina Revskaya, once a great star of the Bolshoi Ballet, believes she has finally drawn a curtain on her past. Instead, the former ballerina finds herself overwhelmed by memories of her homeland and of the events, both glorious and heartbreaking, that changed the course of her life half a century ago.

Nina has kept her secrets for half a lifetime. But two people will not let the past rest: Drew Brooks, an inquisitive young associate at a Boston auction house, and Grigori Solodin, a professor of Russian who believes that a unique set of jewels may hold the key to his own ambiguous past. Together these unlikely partners begin to unravel a mystery surrounding a love letter, a poem, and a necklace of unknown provenance, setting in motion a series of revelations that will have life-altering consequences for them all."

My thoughts: This was a very interesting book ( a little drawn out) but the mix of modern day events alongside the corresponding historical events was well done.  I always love a good ballerina story, and the insight into Communist Soviet Russia in the 40's and 50's was really eye-opening.

What have you read lately?

Jasmine


4 comments:

  1. this book is next on my pile actually! glad to hear it was decent :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting! I'll have to add it to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I've ever read a ballerina story, so I might have to check this one out! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one, so reading your review only makes me want to read it more.

    ReplyDelete