Friday, February 1, 2013

Inner Beauty Friday! Book Club

Hello:

Once again it is Friday and I am linking up with Heather at Blonde...Undercover Blonde for Book Club!


This week I read "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher~
Thirteen Reasons Why

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads.com ~ "Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers."

My thoughts ~ For at least half the book all I could think is "they are making suicide sound like a game."  I don't think the author intended it that way but overall I think most people don't like to hear about suicide so this can be a hard book to read and I empathize with Hannah at the end.  I heard they are making this into a movie and I just think that it may come across as a valiant act of retribution.  Now I definetly need to read something cheery!

Are you reading anything good?  Any suggestions?

Jasmine 

9 comments:

  1. Hey! Found you through Book Club Friday!
    I have this on my nightstand, haven't started it yet!
    I just read & reviewed Alice in Zombieland!
    Have a great day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice in Zombieland sounds interesting, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. i did not care for this book... (my review: http://growninsouthernground.wordpress.com/2012/10/11/thirteen-reasons-why-by-jay-asher/)

    http://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really "like" it either its just a hard subject and uncomfortable.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like it could have been a unique way to tell a story. Too bad it disappointed. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unique, I think it just makes her suicide seem valiant, which I find distasteful.

      Delete
  4. That sounds really intense....I'm not sure I could read it!

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this in highschool, and it was definitely an intense and sad read...not sure how much I enjoyed it..I'm usually more into the chipper chic flick/ novels lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am seriously in love with this book. I know that's not that great to say about such a sad story, but it really makes you think on who you touch, and how things you might do effect others. It makes you think before you act.

    ReplyDelete