Friday, February 8, 2013

Inner Beauty Friday...Book Club!

Hello!

It's Friday so I am linking up with Heather at Blonde...Undercover Blonde for Book Club:


This week I read "Ladder of Years" by Anne Tyler -


Ladder of Years

Here is the synopsis from Goodreads.com:
BALTIMORE WOMAN DISAPPEARS DURING FAMILY VACATION, declares the headline. Forty-year-old Delia Grinstead is last seen strolling down the Delaware shore, wearing nothing more than a bathing suit and carrying a beach tote with five hundred dollars tucked inside. To her husband and three almost-grown children, she has vanished without trace or reason. But for Delia, who feels like a tiny gnat buzzing around her family's edges, "walking away from it all" is not a premeditated act, but an impulse that will lead her into a new, exciting, and unimagined life . . . .

My thoughts: It's kind of a really interesting premise, to literally just walk away from your life and start anew.  I like the first 4/5 of the book because it was interesting and almost plausible that someone could do it so easily.  And I also liked a lot of the self realization that came to her.  We all need time to reflect on our life choices and realize WE made those choices, as well as coming in to your own self.  The only odd part was the end, it wrapped up so quickly it was a little off-putting.  But otherwise a solid read.


Jasmine

4 comments:

  1. This one is new to me, but it definitely sounds really interesting. It's definitely an interesting idea, what if you just disappeared... what would you do and what would the people in your life do. Interesting, but kind of crazy to really think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why it was good to read in book form! I have thought about it from time to time, just leaving and becoming someone new, but I feel like itt would be impossible these days! Too much technology :)

      Delete
  2. Sound like an interesting read! When I was younger I hiked a lot in the mountains- always wondered what it would be like to drop everything and just stay out there...

    I wanted to invite you to join in our weekly Meet & Greet Blog Hop! It runs Friday nights through the end of Monday. Come stop by if you have time this weekend :)

    http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2013/02/weekend-meet-greet-blog-hop-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! I like the sounds of this one! I'm totally going to add it to my TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete